If you have leftover rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken breast, make this high-protein chicken salad as an easy lunch option. Lean shredded chicken is combined with creamy yogurt, crispy apples and sweet grapes for a tasty, tangy combo. Serve between 100% whole grain bread and you have a satisfying, packable lunch. If you’d rather go low-carb, you can sub in a side salad instead of the bread.
· 1 pound (454 grams) cooked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 4 cups shredded)
· 1/2 cup diced red onion (about 1/2 medium red onion or 60 grams)
· 1/2 cup diced apple (about 1/2 small apple or 75 grams)
· 2/3 cup (100 grams) quartered or halved grapes
· 2/3 cup (165 grams) plain 2% fat Greek yogurt (certified gluten-free if necessary)
· 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more, to taste
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· Salt and pepper, to taste
· 12 slices of 100% whole grain bread (about 100 calories each)
· 6 medium lettuce leaves
In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, red onion, apple, grapes, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Using a 3/4 cup measuring scoop, portion out the chicken salad. Serve with a lettuce leaf and 2 slices of 100% whole grain bread.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup (about 5 ounces or 142 grams) + 2 slices whole grain bread + 1 medium lettuce leaf
Energizing Tips (optional)
· Add 1/3 cup dried cranberries into the chicken salad before mixing to increase calories, carbs and sweetness.(Per serving: Calories: 384; Total Fat: 6g; Carbohydrate: 50g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 34g)
· Add 1/2 cup chopped almonds or nut of choice into the chicken salad before mixing to increase calories, protein and healthy fats.(Per serving: Calories: 420; Total Fat: 11g; Carbohydrate: 46g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 36g)